Film genre and type of production?
- Animation, action-adventure, comedy film - Wikipedia
- Superhero movie
- High budget, high concept, event movie - Official Website
What's the film about?
- Set in a fictional metropolis called San Fransokyo, a young robotics prodigy names Hiro Hamada and his robot Baymax uncover a criminal plot and pull together a team on inexperienced crime-fighters to solve the mystery surrounding the crime.
- Crime fighting, a journey
- Coming of age, growing up
Global and UK release dates? Where and what formats?
- October 23, 2014 - Tokyo International Film Festival (premier)
- October 25, 2014 - Austin Film Festival and Philadelphia International Film Festival
- October 31, 2014 - Abu Dhabi Film Festival
- November 1, 2014 - Hawaii Film Festival
- November 7, 2014 - Released in 3D and 2D in the USA and Canada - Walt Disney Animation Studios
- November 7, 2014 - February 11, 2015 - Released in over 50 countries including:
- January 30, 2015 in UK and Ireland
- February 11, 2015 in France
- Staggered global release means that (hopefully) positive word of mouth spreads across countries via social networks, but the companies have to rely on it being positive and not negative.
- There is also a risk that the film may be downloaded and watched online but as it is a 3D film, its not as likely. Only 0.01% of hollywood film profits are lost to piracy.
|John Lasseter (center), co-director Chris Williams (right), and actor Kotaro Koizumi (left), actress Miho Kanno (second from left) at the premiere of ‘Big Hero 6′ in Tokyo.|
- Initially set in Tokyo but was moved to america (so that it is multi-ethnic)
- Dystopian setting: San Fransokyo - Tokyo and San Fransisco
- Walt Disney Animation Studios Production (American company)
- International reach and appeal with Japanese side
- Marvel (american) were originally involved in production but since some disputes, the Marvel name has been taken away from the film; the Marvel target audience wouldn't be impressed with the marvel plot being 'disneyfied'
Institutions behind the film's production and UK/US distribution? Where are they based?
- Producer: Walt Disney Animation Studios
- Distributors: Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures (France, Japan, USA)
Forum Hungary (Hungary)
- Walt Disney are an international corporation with offices worldwide - expertees in different countries know their market so use different techniques to reach and appeal to the audience, but the trailers etc. are brought directly from Disney Hollywood.
- Walt Disney is a vertically and horizontally integrated institution: big studios, global corporations
What's the films production budget?
- Predicted high budget (around $200 million)
- Financed by Walt Disney itself
- Unknown at the moment
Any connections with other films?
- The Trailer mentions that the film is from the same producers as 'Frozen', 'Wreck it Ralph' and 'Tangled'
- Synergy is created through the trailer which uses this to promote the product.
- Director Don Hall also directed 'Princess and the Frog' and 'Tarzan'
- Director Chris Williams co-directed 'Bolt' and 'Mulan'
- Marvel connections due to the Marvel name
- Connections to the x-men franchise as two of the characters 'Sunfire' and 'Silver Samurai' from that franchise are found in Big Hero 6.
Who's the director?
|Chris Williams - Director|
|Don Hall - Director|
Don Hall - director brought in by Disney,
Chris Williams - inhouse director at Walt Disney.
- Produced by:
Roy Conli and John Lasseter
How has the film been cast? Who's in it?
|Ryan Potter (Hiro)|
- Ryan Potter - Hiro (known for Nickelodeon comedy-action series Supah Ninjas)
- Jamie Chung - Tamago (known for 'The Hangover' and 'Suckerpunch')
- Scott Adsit - Baymax (known for '30 Rock')
- Genesis Rodriguez - Honey (known for series produced by US based TV network Telemundo)
Core audience? Secondary/ tertiary markets?
Core: Young Kids
Fans of Disney
Secondary: Parents, the rest of the family
Tertiary: Fans of Fall Out Boy (song in the trailer) and fans of Marvel.