|This was me and Monica at the |
2. How did you plan your sequence? What processes did you use? What theories did you try to take into account?
|Our Shot List|
We used a Canon HFG 30 to film our sequence, and were supplied with a tripod and set of headphones to go with it to ensure our shots were as good as they could be, with no background noise or unnecessary movement of the camera. When we were editing we used a programme on the computer called Adobe Premier Pro, this we used to edit the shots and trim them, to make our sequence continuous. We also had a microphone attached to the camera to record any speaking at good volume. Lastly, for some of our shots we used a clapperboard. This made it easier to differentiate the shots from one another as they were then numbered.
4. What factors did you have to take into account when planning, shooting and editing?
Firstly when planning, we had to look out for various limitations such as what setting we were allowed to use, ie. what was in the media block and how we could base our story around this setting. Secondly we had to think about timing as when it came to filming, we would only have an hour to shoot, so we had to plan our shot list, in order to make sure we got all shots done in time. When we were shooting we came across even more things to think about. We had to take into account the camera we were using and where we would place it in order to achieve the best shots. We also had to think about what props we would need, for example the laptop and headphones, and where would be an appropriate place to use them (and therefore for the actors to sit) in order to make the sitting in the classroom scenario look realistic. Lastly when filming we had to think about lighting. The room we used would have to continually have the same lighting or else, if say for example we saw a massive shadow which appeared from nowhere, it would be a continuity error. Lastly when editing we had to focus on cutting up the different clips and matching them together, to ensure we had continuity, for example a match on action when the girl was opening the door.
5. How successful was your sequence? Please identify what worked well, and with hindsight, what would you improve/do differently?
I think our sequence was successful because we achieved continuity fairly well with just a few little errors and rule breaks. Overall I think we came up with a good script and story line, and our final sequence had some good cuts between shots, for example between shots 1 to 3 of the door opening, I think we achieved a match on action as the shots fit together, one after the other. We also achieved continuity with the shot-reverse-shot which Monica filmed from two different over the shoulder angles, keeping in mind the 180 degree rule. On the other hand we did make a few errors when filming and editing our clip. Looking at some of the shots we didn't end up using, I think we should have taken more than one of each shot from the same angle, so we have more choice. In some cases we did do this, however not always which resulted in us having another person in the background of shot 3 as we didn't have another shot to replace it with. We should also have thought more about framing as some of our good shots cut out parts of the character when they were speaking, so we could not include these in our final sequence. We did make one error in regards to the 180 degree rule, in which we filmed the last shot from in front of the characters, when the over the shoulder shots had been filmed from the other side of them, as shown in the picture below.
|Our error was in this third shot ^|
6. What have you learnt from completing this task? Looking ahead, how will this learning be significant when completing the rest of your foundation coursework, do you think?
From completing this task, I have learnt that using the clapperboard and headphones when filming really help when it comes to editing as you can organize your shots better and see how many you have of each different shot. I have also learnt that using the headphones when filming is crucial as it is much easier to check if there is any background noise this way. Lastly, I think this prelim task has taught me more about the 180 degree rule and completed my understanding of it. This will all be significant in the future as this small task is mirroring the coursework we will have to soon produce, but on a smaller scale. When it comes to doing our foundation coursework, I think this task will have really helped me as I now understand the 180 degree rule, and how simple it is to get errors when it comes to match on action. As a result, I think that this will convince me to put lots of planning into our final coursework piece to ensure it achieves continuity.