My Introduction

My Introduction:

My name is Amy Bauco, my candidate number is 9013. I am part of group 1 and the other members of my group are Shayam Utting (9164) and Monica Aghadiuno (9365). To see my work please see the labels on the right hand side named AS Research and Planning, AS Construction and AS Evaluation. Our final opening sequence is shown below, along with a group photo next to it, on the right.

Our Film Opening Sequence

Our Film Opening Sequence:

Thursday, 19 March 2015

Evaluation Post 7: Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

I have learnt a lot from the progression between the two projects. I already had knowledge of how to use the camera, when it came to the prelim task, but I learnt more editing techniques during the project.

The brief for our preliminary task was:

Continuity task involving filming and editing a character opening a door, crossing a room and sitting down in a chair opposite another character, with whom she/he then exchanges a couple of lines of dialogue. This task should demonstrate match on action, shot/reverse shot and the 180 degree rule.

Planning:
We had to put a lot more into planning our real opening, than we did in the prelim. 
We had to decide on:
1. Location
2. How we would represent our character, 
3. Mise-en-scene
4. What shots we were going to use (angles and framing)
To do this we created a storyboard with post-it notes which helped us identify any errors in continuity or framing. This is a very quick and easy method as it is very visual.




Production:
Our prelim helped us a lot when it came to our project, because we had learnt a variety of techniques which helped us.

Match on Action:
Maintains continuity in shots as character movement is continuous and doesn't jump between shots.
An example of a match on action in our prelim
Opening sequence continuity sequence

180° Rule:
This is another form of continuity, where you must keep the camera on one side of the actor at all times, so as not to confuse the audience with setting. 
An example of using using the rule in our opening

Over the Shoulder shots:
These help to show the perspective of the actor.
An OTS shot from our opening
An OTS shot from our prelim

Master shots
We did not use these shots in our opening, but we made sure we had these to refer back to if needed.
A master shot we used in our prelim
Running a shoot:
I learnt how it feels to be the actor so in the project I was later able to guide Shayam on how to act. I also got to practise using the clapper board, to make sure everything is ready on set. We learnt the best way to achieve different angles and framing, with the use of a small camera and tripod.

A still of me acting in our prelim


Post-Production:
I learnt how to use Adobe Premier Pro, which I already had some knowledge on, in the prelim task. This knowledge was further developed in the project as we were able to cut down shots, add in effects, add in music and also we were able to grade our shots. As we did not get to do any grading in the prelim task, learning this process was more difficult at the end of our project, because we had less time to do so. 

Evaluation:
The main difference here was that for our prelim, audience feedback was not needed, because it was only a small scene, not a film opening. However, for our project we needed to constantly re evaluate our work, to check everything worked.

Teamwork:
Our prelim task helped us get used to working together in a group, so we got used to sharing the workload and discussing any problems we had. I learnt that we have to make sure everyone gets a say in any big decisions made, surrounding the project. We didn't have any problems in our group and we worked well together, despite minor disagreements on editing techniques and music. We are very happy with out final outcome.
A group photo taken at the beginning of the project
A group photo taken on our last editing day

However, looking back on our project, there are a few things I would do differently. I would make sure we had a good idea of how to use the lighting kit before the practice shoot, as this would save us a lot of time for both that shoot and the following ones. I would also have taken photos of 'Ryan' a lot of time in advance, so we could get the exact type of photos we wanted, as I was not completely happy with the ones we took, due to the angles and framing.



Conclusion:
During these two projects, I largely developed my knowledge of technologies and film theories such as match on action and the 180 degree rule. I think that given more time, I would expand my knowledge to make our opening sequence better, but overall this was a great learning curve for me and I thoroughly enjoyed making this opening and working together with my group.

No comments:

Post a Comment